Making Lemonade With Lemons
Robert and Maryann Wahmann are the founders of NCAN, The Neuroendocrine Cancer Awareness Network. Founded in 2004, their mission is to intensify awareness of Neuroendocrine Cancer including Carcinoid. NCAN provides access to information about NETs, and funding for NET cancer research. For the past 12 years NCAN has provided information and support to NET patients and caregivers through e-mail, our web site, and toll free phone number. Our phone line is open 7 days a week 9 am – 9 pm EST, 365 days a year! The phone line is answered by a patient or a caregiver at all times. This is very important to us . We want you to know the person on the other end of the phone understands first hand about the disease. Several thousand free information packets have been mailed worldwide. We provided many support groups worldwide with information, merchandise, awareness items and financial support.
CLICK HERE for the Neuroendocrine Cancer Awareness Network
NCAN’s twitter handle: @NetCancerAware
On today’s episode we discuss:
- How Maryann’s carcinoid cancer was misdiagnosed for 7 years
- How a lack of information drove Robert and Maryann to found NCAN
- How NCAN’s conferences allow for doctors and patients to meet and discuss the disease
- What it takes to walk through life with a long term disease
- Making lemonade with lemons
- What it means to Robert and Maryann to be a leader
- Taking the road less traveled
- Why they encourage patients to be advocates of their own health
- The importance of how the delivery of a diagnosis is given
- What are the symptoms of neuroendocrine cancer?
- How someone like Steve Jobs actually died of neuroendocrine cancer, not pancreatic
Robert and Maryann’s impact: They want to be remembered for their foundation and for making a difference in people’s lives despite the adversities that may have come their way
Another episode of the Positivity Effect goes live next Tuesday – stay tuned!!